FALSIDE CASTLE WITH OUTBUILDING AND RETAINING WALLS (Ref:19070)
This building is in the East Lothian Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 05/02/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 377 710.
15th century 4-storey keep, enlarged into mansion with L-plan addition to S in 16th century; substantially restored, Ian S Parsons, 1982-5; D H Moran, builder. Various windows re-opened and others inserted in course of restoration, in sympathetic manner. Sited on high ground (Falside Hill). Freestone rubble, partly coursed in earlier work, with oyster shell pinning; ashlar dresing repairs and brick rebuilding with white harling 1982-5. 15TH CENTURY KEEP: rectangular-plan, circa 30 x 39 feet. 4th storey vaulted. Crenellated parapet walk to wallhead and crowstepped, gabled cap-house to NE angle. Round arched doorway in N elevation. Minimum of openings at ground, irregularly placed arrow slit windows and fewer larger windows in upper floors, some altered in 17th century, bearing backset margins and chamfered arrises. INTERIOR: mural stair leading to 1st floor to left of door, turnpike above 1st floor; pit dungeon; flagstones; stone corbels retained. 16TH CENTURY ADDITION: to S elevation of keep. Relieving arches to windows; quirk-edged roll mouldings. Door in W elevation (surround renewed, 1982) with square panel above. Chamfered angle to SW, corbelled to square above. Round tower set in re-entrant angle, mitred above ground floor on rectangular base. S elevation symmetrical; crowstepped, gabled centre bay with window to each of 3 upper floors and gablehead stack; borbelled angle turrets with candle-snuffer roofs. Sizeable set-off wallhead stack to E elevation, flanked by windows breaking eaves in modern gabled dormerheads, 1 dated 1982, 1 bearing initials TMC CHH. 2 further such gabled dormerheads to W elevations. INTERIOR: not seen (1989). Multi-pane glazing patterns. Grey slates. OUTBUILDING: rectangular plan, single storey, gabled outbuilding, sited to N of castle; freestone rubble; much altered, with red and grey corrugated sheet metal roof. RETAINING WALL: largely renewed, 1982. Freestone rubble with rubble coping, adjoined to castle.
Built by the Fawside family and known over the centuries as Faswside, Fallside and Fa'side. The Battle of Pinkie was fought on the fields below. A 17th century house formerly stood closeby to SE. Restored for T M Craig, from 1982.
RCAHMS INVENTORTY No 193.
MacGibbon and Ross CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC Vol I, pp409-13.
J Drummond Drawings 1847 held at NMRS.
A Archer Drawings, 1834, held at NMRS.
Strutt and Parker Sale Catalogue, October 1985.
RCAHMS survey plans, 1978, at NMRS.
P McNeill TRANENT AND ITS SURROUNDINGS (1883) p149-54.
SCOTTISH PORTRAIT September 1985, pp10-11.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.